On Saturday, August 15th, I had the opportunity to ride to Estes Park with the Black Forest Riders! We started in north Colorado Springs, stopped in Golden for coffee, then made our way through Nederland and Allenspark towards Estes on Colorado’s oldest scenic byway…the Peak to Peak highway.
This road is classified as “Difficult” by the Colorado DMV and I can see why. There are a LOT of sharp turns and twists the entire route. With signs that say, “Motorcycles use extreme caution”, you definitely don’t want to take a nap on this road!
We had absolutely beautiful weather on the way up to Estes, and for most of the way back. However, somewhere right around the south side of Castle Rock, the rain started. That’s fine. Then the rain got harder in Monument. That’s okay.
Then the skies opened up and the lightning tried to kill me as I started to get close to home. Not cool. Guess what the tallest thing is on a prairie road with no trees? Me on the bike. Guess who is taller – a cow, or me on the bike? Right again. Guess who seems to have “Strike Me” written on the top of his helmet? Bingo.
Okay, so maybe it wasn’t that bad. But I do have to admit something: I was actually scared riding in that storm. The lighting was incredibly close (I would see the flash and the thunder would follow almost immediately afterwards) and the wind was powerful and pushing me around. That will make a believer out of you in a hurry.
Still, it was a good ride and a great day! I enjoyed the camaraderie of riding with the group and look forward to going out with them again in the future!
- 7 = Motorcycles (4 Beemers, 2 Hondas, and 1 Suzi)
- 9 = People total on the ride (+ 2 more who met us for coffee and lunch later on)
- 374 = Total miles ridden from home and back again
- 55.5 = MPG I got on Stallion according to the Fuelly app
- 32 = Pictures from the ride
- 1 = Bike that lost front brakes on the ride (he made it home safely even through the rain)
- 105 = The temperature that it felt in my helmet!
- 1 = Brisket platter consumed with tea, coleslaw, beans, and fried apples
Hope you enjoy the pictures!
Until next time!